- Created: Thursday, 21 August 2014 09:53
- Hits: 2892
Presidential Address: SAIMM AGM
Date: 13th August 2014
By: Prof Jim Porter
Introduction: Challenge and Oportunity
- According to Statistics South Africa (SA) the current unemployment rate is 25.5% of the workforce
- This includes 10 million people subject to high levels of poverty
- SA is currently number two on the world's Geni index that measures the disparity between high and low income earners.
- The Chamber of Mines' South African Year Book, 2012/13: The value of SA's total metal and mineral reserves "remain some of the world's most valuable, with an estimated worth of R20.5 trillion ($2.5 trillion)".
Download the full Presidential address here (PDF, 1.2MB)