- FELLOW: (Minimum age 35 years). A person eligible for election or transfer into the class of Fellow shall be any minerals professional employed for a minimum of five years in a senior technical position of responsibility provided that the candidate has had ten years combined technical tertiary education and appropriate experience, or experience only.
- MEMBER: (Minimum age 25 years.) A person eligible for election or transfer into the class of Member shall be employed for a minimum of two years in a technical position of responsibility provided that the candidate has had five years combined technical tertiary education and appropriate experience, or experience only.
- ASSOCIATE: A person eligible for election or transfer into the class of Associate shall be any person with a recognised industry qualification, within the disciplines of mining, extractive metallurgy, or metals technology.
- STUDENT: A full-time student or post-graduate student at a university, technikon, or any other educational institution approved by Council, who is being trained to occupy a technical position in the mining or metallurgical industry or associated organizations.
||Fees 16/ 17
|Fees 16/ 17
|Fees 17/ 18
|Fees 17/ 18
|Honorary Life Fellow||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge|
|Honorary Fellow||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge|
|Student||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge||No Charge|
* VAT is not charged on these prices.
As per By-Law A2.5 Retired Fellows and Members shall be persons who are at least 60 (sixty) years of age and who have bona fide retired from active business and have retained membership at a reduced subscription providing he/she has been a member for at least 10 (ten) years.
Retired Members and Fellows who have been in good standing with the Institute for at least 20 years and are over the age of 65 qualify for free retired membership with the Institute.
Please note the following in respect of payment of membership fees:
- Payment of membership fees remains the responsibility of the individual member even if the fees are to be paid by the company.
- Your account number/membership number must be used as a reference and the proof of payment or remittance advice must be sent to email@example.com.
- We do not issue Order Numbers. However, your organisation may issue an Order Number to us if they are paying, which may be attached to the invoice.
- Credit card and PayGate payments remain the most efficient and secure method of settling your account.
Election of Fellow, Member, Associate
The election or transfer of candidates to any category of membership of the INSTITUTE, other than Student or Company Affiliate, shall be proposed or seconded by Corporate members (Members or Fellows) having personal knowledge of the candidate’s character, qualifications and experience.
Please note that a copy of all certificates must be submitted in support of the application form.
Election of Student
A candidate for election as a Student member shall be recommended by his/her Professor or a Senior Lecturer of his/her Institution of tertiary education and the application shall be made on the form prescribed from time to time by the Council.
Election of Company Affiliates
Companies involved in or associated with the mining or metallurgical industries are eligible to become Company Affiliates.
Company Affiliates pay up front.
The membership Application Form is only obtainable as a PDF format file, or as hard copy on direct application to The Secretariat.
Download the membership application as a PDF file HERE.