The Centre for Minerals Research is a multi-disciplinary research centre based in the Department of Chemical Engineering with close associate activities in the Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Physics. It enjoys an excellent international reputation for its world-class research in minerals processing. The Centre works closely with all of the major global mining companies and is supported in its research by over thirty companies worldwide. It also collaborates closely with a number of Universities and Research Organisations in Australia, China, Brazil, England, Germany, Sweden and Turkey. The main research activities in the Centre are in comminution, classification and flotation. The Centre is looking for candidates with outstanding ability and potential to appoint to the position of research officer (comminution) and research officer (flotation).
Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified persons for appointment to the position of:
Research Officers (Comminution & Flotation)
Research Officer Comminution*
- Master’s degree in STEM Field (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics).
- 3 years experience in a comminution research environment, with particular focus on tumbling mills, stirred mills and hydrocyclones.
- 3 years experience in particle tracking research such as positron emission particle tracking with particular focus on tumbling mills, hydrocyclones and stirred milling.
- 3 years’ experience in computational modelling and simulation research of granular systems.
Research Officer Flotation*
- Master’s degree in Chemical or Metallurgical Engineering.
- 3 years industrial experience in mineral processing.
- 3 years experience in a flotation research environment.
- Ability to conduct circuit surveys of mineral processing flotation concentrators.
- Ability to mass balance survey data, model-fit and simulate flotation circuits using JKSimFloat and the Integrated Extraction Simulator (IES).
* The number of years of experience listed under the minimum requirements may be obtained concurrently.
Applicants who do not meet minimum requirements will be rejected.
- To lead research within the above competency areas in the Centre for Minerals Research.
- To supervise postgraduate students.
- To deliver technical solutions to industry.
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is R730 510.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Abigail Dixon at email@example.com
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc),
- Motivation letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. Please indicate whether you are applying for the post of Research Officer Comminution or Research Officer Flotation.
An application which does not comply the above requirements will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 1673
Reference number: E200199
Closing date: 29 May 2020
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.