Full Name: Sephela Makete ThEMA
Position: Acting Mine Manager – Sibanye Stillwater
- Creation of a platform for young mining professionals to champion 4th industrial revolution in mining through practical projects and adaptation of new technologies.
- Bring to light challenges faced by young professionals at operational level and how they can be overcome.
- Find ways of promoting young professionals’ involvement in the total mining value chain. With interest in innovation, entrepreneurship, andtransformation.
Interaction/activities that you currently participate in within the SAIMM (if applicable):
- Attend technical presentations and conferences
- Member of the YPC committee since 2019
- Study journals
- Conduct academic research.
- 2011: BSc. Engineering (Mining Engineering) – University of the Witwatersrand
- 2017: Postgraduate Certificate in Mining Law – University of the Witwatersrand
- 2015: Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration – University of Pretoria
- 2018 and 2019: Respectively Mine Manager’s and Mine Overseer’s Certificate of Competency
- Currently enrolled for Master of Science degree in Engineering
Brief career history:
- I started as a mining engineering student in 2008 for Anglo Operations limited, and went on to work as a crew captain, shift supervisor, senior shift supervisor after graduation for Anglo American Platinum Rustenburg operations.
- Over the years, I have been involved in mine design, mine planning, project management, mining development and new technology implementation.
- I am currently employed as an Acting Mine Manager for Sibanye Stillwater in Rustenburg. I am a registered candidate mining engineer (ECSA), and a professional member of SAIMM and an associate member of AMMSA.