FullName: Gangatha DABULA
Position: Mining Engineer
What contribution do you see yourself making to the Young Professionals Council and the SAIMM?:
- I really enjoy mentoring young graduates and other young individuals that are considering a career in mining so I see myself contributing in setting up a strategy and planning initiatives to give more young people exposure to the mining and engineering profession.
- I could also assist with best practice when it comes to implementing mine planning strategies and I would also like to help steer South African mining policy with my peers through engagement with other stakeholders in the mining industry (Chamber of Mines, DMR, NUM).
Interaction/activities that you currently participate in within the SAIMM (if applicable):
Qualifications: BSc Eng. (Mining)
Brief career history:
- I am currently a mining engineer at De Beers. My main focuses include short term and long term planning for pre-production on the Venetia Underground Project.
Prior to De Beers, I was employed at MineRP as a mining consultant and my main duties were providing an advisory service to clients in the planning context, this involved producing short term and long term plans and production schedules at the concept and prefeasibility study planning phase.
- Between 2010 and 2011 I was employed at Eland Platinum Mine, an operation that forms part of the Glencore Xstrata group, as a Technical assistant where as a part of the management team I assisted in optimizing operations and was briefly appointed to be a contracts supervisor.
- Between 2009 and 2010 I was employed by Murray & Roberts Cementation as a Graduate Mining Engineer; during that time I gained invaluable skills through their graduate programme and hands-on experience at their Aquarius operations in Rustenburg.
- I completed my BSc Eng (Mining) at the University of the Witwatersrand, I am a candidate of the Engineering Council of South Africa, an Associate member of the South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM), and I am possession of a Mine Manager’s Certificate of Competency.