Full Name: Wesley Kondwani BANDA
Position: Research Engineer (Mintek)
What contribution do you see yourself making to the Young Professionals Council and the SAIMM?:
I am an innovative thinker; I will bring new ideas in a different spectrum. I am a self-motivated and hardworking individual. I will make sure tasks are achieved with excellent quality. I have good leadership skills and I will surely keep the team motivated and working towards great achievements. I will bring initiatives and ideas to make SAIMM grow and be competitive in the engineering field.
Interaction/activities that you currently participate in within the SAIMM (if applicable):
- 2014–2016: YPC communications committee leader, and secretary
- 2014–2019: Conference organising committee member.
- BSc Chemical Engineering (Wits), MSc Metallurgical Engineering (Wits)
Brief career history:
- july 2012–jan 2013: I worked at Central Rand Gold as a laboratory assistant and sampler as an intern. I worked on optimization projects on the electrowinning circuit and milling circuit
- March 2014–August 2014: I worked at Corruseal SF as a dry end supervisor: My duties were to lead a team of six general workers to ensure there is productivity, data capturing, quality checking, assisting in the corrugator slitter scorer maintenance.
- August 2014—August 2015: As a graduate intern in the pyrometallurgy division at Mintek. I carry out research tasks on the extractive metallurgy of metals using high Temperature Laboratory equipment, including the lab scale induction furnaces and XRF machine under the pyro metallurgy department. I am also involved in large scale pilot plant test work including the recovery of Chrome from low grade chromite
ore and the recovery of gold in a copper alloy
- August 2015—january 2019: Engineer at the pyrometallurgy division at Mintek. I am actively involved in process demonstration campaign where a 3.2 MVA pilot plant furnace is used. My duties include mass and energy balance data management and analysis, plant inspections, monitoring the temperature and sample analysis results, to name a few
- I am actively involved in new technology development projects in pyrometallurgy that will results in patent development as well as commercial revenue for Mintek
- February 2019–September 2019: hR project consultant at Mintek. I am in charge on project management and implementation of hR programs, developing and implementing integrated talent management systems, data analysis and reporting to allow strategic hR solutions to be developed
- September 2019–Present: February 2019- September 2019: hR project consultant at Mintek. I am in charge on project .