THE SOUTHERN AFRICAN INSTITUTE OF MINING AND METALLURGY
ABOUT THIS POLICY
This policy discloses the privacy practices for The Southern African Institute of the Mining and Metallurgy (“SAIMM”) and applies solely to information collected by the SAIMM on its database and website. It will notify you of the following:
- What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the website and membership database, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
This policy sets out the categories of personal information SAIMM may collect from its members, or other sources when you register as a member, register for events or provide information to SAIMM through any online or other portal, or if you apply to enter into agreements with SAIMM, as well as how we process that personal information.
We subscribe to the principles, outlined in Section 51 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act and POPI, which govern your right to having your personal information kept private.
We briefly outline these principles below:
- We shall only collect, collate, process and store ('use') your personal information with your written permission as set out in this policy, unless legally required to do so, and will only use such information for the lawful purpose for which it is required as set out in this policy.
- We shall disclose in writing, upon request, the specific purpose for which we use, collect, and store your personal information. We will also keep a record of that personal information and the specific purpose for which we have used it.
We will not use your personal information for any purpose, other than that which we disclosed to you herein, unless you give us your express written permission to do so, or unless we are permitted/required to do so, by law.
Personal information will only be retained for as long as necessary for the purpose it was collected and in line with regulations governing the duration information should be kept.
If you have any questions about this policy or do not agree with it, please contact us directly at email@example.com.
By entering into any agreement with us, or by applying to enter any such agreement, or by registering as a member of SAIMM, or by registered for an event, you agree to the terms as set out in this policy.
COLLECTING YOUR INFORMATION
“Personal information” (referred to herein, simply as “information”) as defined in the POPI Act, means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to:
- information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
- information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
- any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- the biometric information of the person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
- the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person.
Further to the POPI Act, we also consider all addresses, including residential, postal and email addresses and change of names, to be included in the definition.
We collect information about you as follows:
- Information you provide to us through our applications or through the registration process;
- Information you provide through other communications with us;
- From third party sources where allowed to do so in law.
When you register as a member, or for an event, or submit any sensitive information through the SAIMM website, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser which may from time to time, include your location, IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested.
USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Information we hold
We may for example collect and use the following information about you:
- First name, Surname,
- Gender and Date of Birth;
- Identity Number;
- Email address and Cell phone number;
- Physical and Postal address;
- University, City or Town;
- Employment history;
- IP address or cookie information;
- Android ID of your device, device make and model, operating system, and version
- Usage patterns, timing, and frequency; and
and any other information which we reasonably need to perform our duties in pursuance of any agreement we may have with you, make decisions about you, or fulfil our regulatory or other business obligations.
SPECIAL PERSONAL INFORMATION
SAIMM does not intend to process any “special personal information” as defined in POPI, which includes for example political, religious or health-related information, and will only process special personal information with your consent or if otherwise allowed to do so in law.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information.
The SAIMM will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration, access, or disclosure by doing the following: -
- We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure. However, we do not make any warranties or representations that content shall be entirely safe or secure, however we are subject to POPI, with which we comply.
- We make use of electronic and computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption when you submit sensitive information via the SAIMM website, and we will endeavour to ensure network security.
- All sensitive information you submit via SAIMM’s website is protected both online and offline. While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only SAIMM employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, invoicing or membership services) are granted access to personally identifiable information.
- The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
- We have physical and electronic access control to our building.
- We only authorise access to information to those employees who require it to fulfil their designated responsibilities.
- Provide adequate storage, retention, and disposal of personal information.
- Investigate and react promptly and appropriately to security incidents.
- We are committed to appropriate technical and other security measures in line with acceptable industry standards to safeguard your information.
INFORMATION WE SHARE / DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We will only share your information with third parties with your consent or if otherwise allowed to do so in law.
We have trusted relationships with selected third parties who perform services on our behalf.
All service providers are bound by contract to maintain the security of your personal information and to use it only as permitted by us.
We may share information about you:
- with SAIMM employees in accordance with their employment relationships with us;
- with any firm, organisation, or person we use to provide a service on our behalf. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with the privacy requirements as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act;
- with any firm, organisation or person who provides us with products or services, where applicable;
- with any payment system we may use;
- with regulatory and governmental authorities, ombudsmen, or other authorities, including tax authorities, where we are requested by them to do so;
- with Credit Bureaus that collect information about credit applications.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect the rights of SAIMM.
How we use your information
We undertake to only process your information insofar as it is adequate, relevant, and not excessive for the purposes set out below.
We will not on-sell your email address or profile picture or personal information.
We will use your information to:
- perform our duties in pursuance of any agreement we may have with you;
- operate and manage your agreement with us or correspondence you may have with us;
- carry out, monitor and analyse our business;
- contact you by email, SMS, letter, telephone or in any other way about our products and services as allowed for in law, unless you tell us that you prefer not to receive marketing communications;
- to form a view of you as an individual and to identify, develop or improve products or services that may be of interest to you;
- carry out market research, business and statistical analysis;
- perform other administrative and operational purposes including the testing of systems;
- trace your whereabouts, should it become reasonably necessary to do so;
- recover any debt you owe us;
- comply with our regulatory or other obligations;
- carry out any other reasonable business operation considering our business and the relationship between the parties.
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you. In addition, where necessary your information may be retained for legal or research purposes.
- To gather contact information;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised user for security purposes;
- For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice;
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings.
Note that, as permitted by the ECT Act, we may use personal information collected to compile profiles for statistical purposes. No information contained in the profiles or statistics will be able to be linked to any specific user.
Your information may also be used for other purposes for which you give your permission or where we are permitted to do so in law or it is in the public interest to disclose the information.
You may on reasonable grounds object to the processing of your personal information, after which we undertake not to continue to process such information, except as provided for in law.
ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
You have a right to access or request certain personal records we hold about you. To do this, simply contact us at the numbers/addresses as provided herein and specify what information you require. We will need a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
Please note that any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee.
Requests can be made in writing by sending an email to SAIMM at email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want to make sure that your information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove any information that you think is inaccurate and you can do so by sending us an e-mail to email@example.com.
CORRECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will require a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before making changes to personal information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your personal information accurate.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
We shall not run any third-party adverts or share any user data with any third party for purposes of advertising or direct marketing.
As a legally registered private company, this policy is governed and regulated by the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
Cross-Border Data Transfers
Due to the nature of our service offering, we may legally process or collect your data outside the Republic of South Africa and transfer same across borders.
We draw your attention to the fact that such country will not have identical data protection laws, which may be more or less restrictive than those of the Republic of South Africa.