|Date||18 October 2012|
|-||18 October 2012|
|Location||Mount Grace Country House, Johannesburg|
FERROUS 2012€”Ferrous and Base Metals Development Network Conference
POST CONFERENCE METALLOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
By the world-renowned metallurgist: George F. vander Voort - USA
18 October 2012 | Mount Grace Country House & Spa, Magaliesburg
George vander Voort has agreed to host a one-day post conference workshop on various aspects of metallography. Ensure that you donÊ¼t miss this opportunity to gain knowledge on metallographic sample preparation and interpretation. There will also be an opportunity to discuss other metallographic problems you might be struggling with. Please ensure that you book your seat in advance since places are limited.
Topics that will be covered in the workshop
Metallography of Thermal and Plasma spray coatings:
- Mounting techniques to achieve good edge detection
- Vacuum impregnation with dye to identify real voids from preparation-induced voids
- Terminology for welds
- Measurement of weld characteristics
- Defects/imperfections in welds
- Use of colour etchants to better reveal weld structures
- Illustration of proper spheroidization of carbides in annealing and its effect on
- Examples of different heat treated conditions for wide variety of grades
- How to best reveal the microstructures, both good and bad microstructures
Selective etching of carbides:
- Examples of different carbides found in steels
- How etchants will reveal different carbides, or not
- Which etchants are useful for image analysis measurements
Fe-Based Alloy Microstructures:
- Definitions and examples of all commonly encountered constituents in steels and irons
- How to identify constituents, before and after tempering
About the presenter
George Vander Voort, who holds 34 international awards in metallography, worked at Buehler Ltd, as Director of Research and Technology from 1996 to 2009. He was
responsible for education, laboratory service, and new directions, including EBSD and
SEM imaging. He also edited their newsletter, Tech-Notes and produced their annual microstructure calendar. In 2010 he became a consultant to Struers Inc, Struers A/S, Latrobe Steel and Scot Forge, and also president of Vander Voort Consulting.
George is the principal author of more than 280 publications, including the book Metallography: Principles and Practice and BuehlerÊ¼s Guide to Materials Preparation. He has edited eighteen books, is the author of 29 articles in various editions of the ASM Metals Handbooks series, was editor for the 2004 revision of Vol. 9, Metallography and Microstructures, and made eleven of the fourteen videotapes in the ASM video course
Principles of Metallography. He is also the author of nine ASTM standards and holds six patents. His micrographs have been within or on the covers of 137 books, magazines, newsletters, brochures or calendars.
He is a member of the American Society for Testing and Materials (now ASTM International). Since 1979 he has been a member of committees E-4 on Metallography
and E-28 on Mechanical Testing. He was also chairman of E.04.14 on Quantitative Metallography (1982€“1998) where he developed and wrote nine standards for both
manual and automated quantitative metallographic measurements.
When George has some spare time, he enjoys foreign travel, food and wine, watercolor painting, photography, hiking and backpacking.
Delegate Registration Fee: R 2 000-00
- Non-members are entitled to free membership of the SAIMM, up to 30 June 2013, for
attending this event
- Registration fee does not include accommodation
- Prepayment is required for all Registration Fees on or before the date of the event.
- Delegates who have not paid will not be permitted to attend the event
The conference will be hosted at the Mount Grace Country House & Spa, which is located Magaliesburg.
For more information visit: http://www.mountgrace.co.za
Raymond van der Berg
SAIMM, P O Box 61127
Tel: (011) 834-1273/7
Fax: (011) 833-8156 or (011) 838-5923
Co-ordinator Email: email@example.com
MAKE A BOOKING and/or PAYMENT HERE: