Young professionals and the youth at large can make valuable contributions in the civil and mining industries. Like many other organizations within different industries, SANCOT has the responsibility of ensuring that there is effective youth involvement in all professional activities within the industry.
This way, the youth are also able to make a meaningful contribution towards their professional and technical development.
At a meeting held on 14 January 2015 at AECOM offices in Centurion, the South African National Committee on Tunnelling approved the formation of a Young Members Group (’SANCOT –YMG’). Mr Lucky Nene was nominated and accepted as the chairperson of this Young Members Group.
SANCOT–YMG has adopted its mandate from its mother bodies, SANCOT and the SAIMM, and is working very closely with the International Tunnelling Association (ITA) and the youth body of ITA, which is ITA-YM. This is to ensure alliance and compliance on various aspects that affect the young professionals. The mandate as adopted from the ITA-YM is structured as follows:
- To provide a technical networking platform within the ITA for young professionals and students
- To bridge the gap between generations and to network across all experience levels in the industry
- To create awareness of the tunnelling and underground space industry to new generations
- To provide young professionals and students with a voice in the ITA, including the Working Groups
- To look after the next generation of tunnelling professionals and to pass on the aims and ideals of the ITA.
Through general interactions via other professional platforms, young professionals have shown interest in this youth structure and a desire to take part. It is therefore envisaged that all interested companies would encourage their young professionals, within both mining and civil engineering, to have representatives within SANCOT-YMG. This participation and involvement is encouraged to extend beyond place(s) of work and will also include those young professionals that are at academic institutions.
The focus areas for SANCOT-YMG would be to mirror the mother body activities and objectives in a way that ensures fun, enthusiasm, and the ongoing participation of young professionals in all aspects of the mother body and industry at large. These focus areas are as adopted form the ITA-YM mandates and include the following:
- Arranging events for international networking, and exchange of experience and technology between young professionals and students
- Inspiring the young generation to join and actively participate in ITA
- Encouraging member nations to establish domestic YM groups for each individual ITA member nation.
To date, SANCOT-YMG has embarked on a number of activities, including researching other existing professional youth organizations and groups in order to understand how they are structured, what their current involvement is, and where SANCOT-YMG can participate in the promotion of young professionals’ interests. To date these include ITA–YM, SAIMM–YPC, and CESA-YPF.
As a way forward, SANCOT–YMG intends to embark on the following activities:
- Requesting assistance from the mother body in the formulation of the working committee/council
- Continue engaging with various young professionals’ organizations and other related stakeholders in an attempt to strengthen relationships and pursue youth interests
- Start implementation of the ITA-YM mandates in association with the SAIMM mandates
- Continue to participate in the activities of the ITA-YM, SAIMM-YPC, CESA–YPF, and other youth groups both locally and internationally.
All interested young professionals and those who would like to participate in general and offer assistance in the sustenance of this your professional entity are invited to contact the SANCOT–YMG chairperson directly on Lucky.Nene@aecom.com or via Raymond van der Berg on firstname.lastname@example.org.