Full Name: Sephela Makete Thema
Position: Sibanye Stillwater - Mine Manager
What contribution do you see yourself making to the Young Professionals Council and the SAIMM?:
- Creation of a platform for mining graduates to champion the 4th industrial revolution and other new technologies in mining through practical projects and adaptation of new technologies.
- Bring to light challenges faced by young professionals at operational level and how they can be overcome.
- Explore ways of promoting young professionals’ involvement in the total mining value chain.
Interaction/activities that you currently participate in within the SAIMM (if applicable):
- Attend technical presentations and conferences.
- Read journals and research papers
- BSc. Engineering (Mining Engineering) – University of the Witwatersrand - 2011
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration – University of Pretoria – 2015
- Postgraduate Certificate in Mining Law – University of the Witwatersrand - 2018
- Mine Manager’s and Mine Overseer’s Certificate of Competency – 2018 & 2019 respectively
Brief career history:
I started my career as a mining engineering bursar in 2008 for Anglo Operations limited, and after graduation went on to assume various roles such as crew captain, shift supervisor, senior shift supervisor. I then proceeded to work for Sibanye Stillwater as Mine Overseer, Unit Manager Mining and I am currently employed as Mine Manager for Bathopele mine in Rustenburg.
Date and place of birth:
I was born on the 1st of July 1990 in Polokwane
Social media links or information: